Old 06-03-2007, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default persimmons and kaki

On Mar 5, 8:39 pm, "cliff_the_gardener"
wrote:
Cath
Can I also suggest having a look atwww.agroforestry.co.uk Apart of
their offering they stock Chinese and American persimmon which they
suggest should prove better here than the oriental persimmon which you
are refering to.

I like that site - it is bookmarked, and I have emailed them to
enquire about a purchase later this year. From the research I have
done, the persimmons of my youth were definitely those that need
bletting to remove the astringency (American??) - that was also the
main reason why we were able to raid so many orchards unimpeded: it
appears few growers had had the patience to wait till the fruit was
actually edible to take a bite. They didn't know what they were
missing, but by Jove, we were quite happy to help :-)

I would also suggest that many plant sellers are that - there for the
selling rather than good horticultural guideance. My point is that
just becasue its in the catalogue look for some back up.

That's exactly why I asked here when faced with the Bakker prospectus
this week end. I am quite sure they don't offer fruiting
guarantees...

From what I have learned the US persimmons are edible but not as sweet

as the oriental ones. They are used for making jams

Ever the synic when it somes to exotics

Don't burst my bubble... I'm only a very new gardener, and in my
Proustian pursuit of childhood nostalgia, I planted two fig trees in
large pots in front of my south facing gable end last year - and yes,
I expect to be able to get a couple of figs within the next 10
years....

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Cat(h)