Old 06-03-2007, 08:22 PM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default hedge question please

"Chookie" wrote in message
"jones" wrote:

My problem also is that I don't want something that will end up making
the
walkway only 2 feet wide. Would something like Murraya Paniculata do for
there?

Not if you live in Sydney or further north. It is a very aggressive plant
here -- I've seen one Murraya paniculata at least 6m high in Petersham.

I would choose
Heavenly Bamboo -- Nandina domestica. It's not a bamboo at all, but has a
similar leaf shape on a smaller scale. Tough
too, without being weedy. Here are some pictures, but they don't do it
justice:

Chookie, I note that in this post and a later one you say that 'Nandina
domestica' is not weedy or aggressive.

I'd have to disagree strongly with that based on personal experience. It is
a garden thug and once established spreads strongly and it will certainly
spread under the fence into the next door neighbour's place. I've found it
can't be killed with anything that I've yet tried on it. It loved
glyphosate! but I couldn't give either of the clumps as strong or as
thorough a dose as I'd like to have as they are growing near other plants.
In one case it's growing up and around a very pretty mounding small piney
thing (which normally I hate, but this one looks like Mt Fuji). Whenb I hit
the Nandina with the glyphosate, I covered the piney thing but event hen I
nearly lost it and the Nandina just powered on. I am reduced to cutting
these things off at the base monthly and the sodding stuff still comes back
strongly.

To check whether my experience was because of living in a cold climate, I
did a very quick google and found that Don Burke says that it's downside is
that it is an environmental weed
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/200...nt_of_the_week

I had thought of Potato vine, which although it will grow like the clappers
and reduce the path to less than 2 ft, is tough, takes pruning very well and
in fact produces far more flowers if cut back hard. It could also be
trained up the fence on diagonal wires which would give a good frame to cut
back to and would result in a good look from soon after planting.