Old 06-03-2007, 08:50 PM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default How was your summer?

"Ed Adamthwaite" wrote in message

The only downer is the broccoli, It
grew OK but I couldn't keep up with the white cabbage moth grubs. A leaf
would turn into lace over night.

Some years ago, I read in either 'Earth Garden' or 'Grass Roots' that
cabbage moth are terratorial and they gave an idea for making fake cabbage
moths and putting them round whatever the moths were attacking. I made some
fake ones using a cut up plastic 2 litre milk container putting on black
dots with texta,s tuck these on satay skewers and then stuck the skewer onto
a thing bamboo stake and pushed it into the ground next to the plants. It
worked!

I watched the moths dancinfg around and then moving on to where there wasn't
another 'moth'. Not totally undamamged, but enough for me to get a good
result and it's non toxic.