Old 06-03-2007, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default What is this? Weed/plant??

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 Carol Hague wrote:

I am starting a new part of the garden and try to get rid of the weeds. It
was when I noticed this strange plant/weed? I do not have a clue of what
it
is and how it giot there (if it is not a weed).

The picture is he
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0016Small.jpg

It's caper spurge, a very handsome plant I think and easy to pull up but I
wouldn't want a lot in my small garden. Someone warned not to eat the seeds,
they're not capers and can be dangerous. Also, the sap can affect some
people quite badly.

It's a member of the euphorbia family I think, so the sap effect is
likely to be worse in strong sunlight - most euphorbia sap is
photoreactive (if that's the right term) and burns the skin in the
presence of sunlight - best to do the weeding on a cloudy day :-)

Ah, so that's what it is! I've some of these in my garden for years and
they keep coming back. It's quite right that they burn the skin. I
always wear gloves to pull them up.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK