Old 06-03-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default What is this? Weed/plant??

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 Klara wrote:

I am starting a new part of the garden and try to get rid of the weeds. It
was when I noticed this strange plant/weed? I do not have a clue of what
it
is and how it giot there (if it is not a weed).

The picture is he
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...N0016Small.jpg

thanks

HA! It's what brought me back to URG some time ago :-)

It's caper spurge, a very handsome plant I think and easy to pull up but I
wouldn't want a lot in my small garden. Someone warned not to eat the seeds,
they're not capers and can be dangerous. Also, the sap can affect some
people quite badly.

They're supposed to be good against moles. I don't know whether this
has been proven, but ever since the spurge turned up in our garden the
moles have disappeared :-)

Aha! So that's why the French call it l'herbe au taupe (or possibly
l'herbe aux taupes). I wouldn't know - I've only heard my neighbour say
it!

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK