Old 07-03-2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Moon Lily or Devils Trumpet??

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:07:03 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

When I was younger my mother had flowers she called moon lily's, I believe
these were devils trumpet, they bloomed only once per night and had a great
delicate smell, I have some seeds that have been kept in a freezer for a
couple of years, will these seeds still be good for producing a plant.

thanx
bill

You are talking about Brugmansia. I have many varieties and I collect
them. I also have tons of seeds, but they require a very special
environment to germinate. The wet paper towel test doesn't work with
these large seeds. Tell me, how large are your seeds and I will tell
what you have. Brug seeds are large and have no uniform shape. They,
need light to germinate.

I am trying to root cuttings now. I just put my Brugs out last week
and pruned them hard. I won't know the color of the plants till they
bloom, but I would be willing to send you a plant once they get some
roots on them.

Moonflower is a vining plant like morning glory, but white and much
larger. They have a scent.

Datura has small to large flowers and they face upward, thus they are
called angel trumpets. I have many seeds of Datura wrightii.