Old 07-03-2007, 08:38 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default What makes capsicums bitter?

wrote:
On Mar 5, 8:24 pm, "
wrote:
Some bits were fine, some were bitter, I cannot tell if
the bad uns were from the same fruit or not. What does this?

The bitterness is from an oil under the skin. You can skin
the capsicum, although it is a bit fiddly. Slice the faces
off the capsicum and place skin side up under the grill
until blackened. Place in a paper bag to sweat until cool
enough to handle. Then peel. The flesh should be sweet.
I do this for a couple of recipes where it makes a big
difference - a pasta sauce or a couscous recipe.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of variation
in bitterness between different varieties.

I have already half heartedly to remove the skin, and said that initially.
I have found this myself at times, and accepted this as normal for peppers..