Old 07-03-2007, 11:05 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default hedge question please

"Chookie" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Chookie, I note that in this post and a later one you say that 'Nandina
domestica' is not weedy or aggressive.

I'd have to disagree strongly with that based on personal experience. It
is
a garden thug and once established spreads strongly and it will certainly
spread under the fence into the next door neighbour's place. I've found
it
can't be killed with anything that I've yet tried on it.

Oops -- in that case, I take it back. I have grown it myself and found it
seemed quite slow and didn't sucker that readily, so perhaps it's slow the
first few years or something.

Could be. Mine must be at least 20 years old and the bane of my life.

I had thought of Potato vine, which although it will grow like the
clappers
and reduce the path to less than 2 ft, is tough, takes pruning very well
and
in fact produces far more flowers if cut back hard. It could also be
trained up the fence on diagonal wires which would give a good frame to
cut
back to and would result in a good look from soon after planting.

Ooh yes -- I like potato vine (blue rather than white).

I think both are drop dead gorgeous.

Pandorea would look
nice too, but it tends to flower on the sunny side of the fence.

Lovely - wish I could grow it here.