Old 07-03-2007, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Physalis

In article ,
(Carol Hague) writes:
| One of my husband's colleagues planted some seeds he got from a Physalis
| fruit bought from the supermarket.
|
| He didn't really think they'd germinate, but he got several seedlings,
| one of which he kindly gave to us.

They germinate quite readily :-)

| He seemed to think they were an indoor-only plant, but I thought they
| grew outside too - any thoughts on if/when I should plant it out please?

They are hard enough to persuade to fruit indoors, as they need heat and
light. You won't lose anything by doing so, but don't expect results.
The flowers are not spectacular.

Put it in poor soil, otherwise you will get lots of leaves and no flowers.

| If it should get to the fruit-producing stage would it be advisable to
| eat said fruit ?

Why not? I do, when I succeed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.