Old 07-03-2007, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Carol Hague Carol Hague is offline

Default Physalis

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
(Carol Hague) writes:
| One of my husband's colleagues planted some seeds he got from a Physalis
| fruit bought from the supermarket.
|
| He didn't really think they'd germinate, but he got several seedlings,
| one of which he kindly gave to us.

They germinate quite readily :-)

So it seems :-)

Some commercially produced fruit can be sterile or close to it though -
I expect that's why he was initially pessimistic.

| He seemed to think they were an indoor-only plant, but I thought they
| grew outside too - any thoughts on if/when I should plant it out please?

They are hard enough to persuade to fruit indoors, as they need heat and
light. You won't lose anything by doing so, but don't expect results.
The flowers are not spectacular.

Put it in poor soil, otherwise you will get lots of leaves and no flowers.

Thanks. We're a bit short of plant space indoors, so I think it'll have
to go outside when it's big enough and the weather's settled enough.
fruit would be nice, but you can't have everything :-)

Maybe next year we can afford a greenhouse for the allotment and it can
go live in there if it survives that long.

| If it should get to the fruit-producing stage would it be advisable to
| eat said fruit ?

Why not? I do, when I succeed.

Some commercially produced stuff doesn't breed true and I wondered if
there was any likelihood of the plant producing something peculiar :-)

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"