Old 07-03-2007, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Physalis

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| My son when younger bought a bag full of "thongs" as the roots are known in
| order to sell the resulting harvest, he begged a small space in a poly
| tunnel but before any fruit was produced it had become a major problem and
| took me a further 3 seasons to irradiate, the pieces when thrown out "took"
| and in the end weedkiller was resorted too (son still blames me for not
| allowing him to make money!)

You may have been very lucky!

I have never heard of P. edulis being propagated that way, and it has
never formed such roots on my plants. It sounds more like P. alkekengi
(also called P. francheti) the one that is commonly grown for decoration,
which is propagated like that and can become a pest. Some reports are
that it is edible, and others that it is significantly poisonous.

I believe that it is now called P. peruviana, but I have also seen
references which had two species, called P. edulis and P. peruviana.
So what else is new?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.