Old 07-03-2007, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Physalis

I have never heard of P. edulis being propagated that way, and it has
never formed such roots on my plants. It sounds more like P. alkekengi
(also called P. francheti) the one that is commonly grown for decoration,
which is propagated like that and can become a pest. Some reports are
that it is edible, and others that it is significantly poisonous.

I believe that it is now called P. peruviana, but I have also seen
references which had two species, called P. edulis and P. peruviana.
So what else is new?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have some growing "wild" on the floor of a glasshouise, I pull them
up if they are in the way but they come back happily from the roots,
and they are quite definatly P. edulis.
You have to make sure the fruit is full ripe before you eat to get the
best taste. They can stay on the plant for months and still be edible.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries