Old 07-03-2007, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Carol Hague Carol Hague is offline

Default Physalis

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Carol Hague" wrote in message
One of my husband's colleagues planted some seeds he got from a Physalis
fruit bought from the supermarket.

He didn't really think they'd germinate, but he got several seedlings,
one of which he kindly gave to us.

He seemed to think they were an indoor-only plant, but I thought they
grew outside too - any thoughts on if/when I should plant it out please?

There are some which will survive outside but I think it would be safer to
keep it under glass. It might well take up a lot of room.

So saying, I think that it's worth the inconvenience for the fruit.

Probably, but I don't think we have anywhere suitable to keep it, if it
gets really big. :-(

We're in an enclosed courtyard so none of the windows get huge amounts
of sunshine

It's currently in a pot on the kitchen window ledge.

It will outgrow that :-)

It'll take a while though - the pot it arrived in is massively oversized
for it. Seems happy enough at the moment.

If it should get to the fruit-producing stage would it be advisable to
eat said fruit ?

Why not?

I think I was getting confused with the plant Nick mentions above that
isn't edible, although how that could grow from a fruit that clearly
*was* I don't know - I think I was just having a senior moment :-)

Give it a go, if you have space.

Thanks. If all else fails, I guess it can live in a big pot and go
outside to play when it's sunny.

But not on the edge of the pond or the cats will probably give it
swimming lessons....

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"