Old 07-03-2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
scfundogs scfundogs is offline

Default Diseased Maple Tree?

On 2007-03-07 10:56:27 -0500, FragileWarrior
said:

Great news! So what did he recommend to protect the tree from malicious
mowing?

Since my husband is the malicious mower, a good divorce lawyer! (just kidding)

He recommended pulling up the grass and laying a ring of mulch around
the tree about 2-3' out from the trunk.

The bad news is that I like the natural look of grass growing around
tree stumps. Also I haven't figured out how to keep my St. Augustine
grass from ignoring mulch. I really don't know how landscapers keep
this grass at bay. I don't see them hand-weeding all these commercial
landscapes.

The good news is that I'll have plenty of oak mulch since the same guy
will be coming to grind a huge pin oak stump in my backyard. He was
actually apologetic about his price but his price was much less than I
was expecting so its all good.

--
Tara