Old 07-03-2007, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William Rose William Rose is offline

Default Which seeds need to be germinated first?

Well, finally got my grow lights up and my heating pad out. Now I need
to decide which seeds should be germinated first because I feel as if
I'm running late.

I hope to plant:
snow peas,
string beans,
romano beans,
early ripening watermelons,
charentais melons,
acorn squash,
corn,
early, mid-, and late season tomatoes,
lemon cucumbers,
zuchs and crook-necks,
sweet, and hot peppers,
lettuce,
basil,
and an assortment of herbs.

I suppose that since the peas, and lettuce will be planted first, they
should be germinated first. The tomatoes are the most important to me,
so I will push them to the head of the line. Early April is my goal to
start planting. I hope to have the garden up full tilt by May.

Any suggestions?

My first attempt at a winter garden was abbreviated by snails and slugs.
The broccoli, and the cabbage were eaten first but the Brussel sprouts
have been more resilient but not impervious. I see few snails, and slugs
and they appear to be, historically, on the small side, adolescent if
you will (none of the 8"-10" banana slugs that typically terrorize my
Spring plantings).The rain fall is only 75% of normal, and I did mulch
with straw in the fall for the first time. I think the mulch is the
major difference.

- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly:-)