Old 07-03-2007, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] robkingston@yahoo.com is offline

Default Venus Fly Traps

On 7 Mar, 14:01, wrote:
Its not march and my venus fly trap has been in the back of a cool
cupboard since about october. Given its starting to get warm outside,
and that the plants has started to spring a few traps in the last few
weeks (just one has come up sice December) is it a good time to get it
out, start giving it plenty of water and put it down in the compost
heap to get some lunch??

Thanks!

peter

I would say yes! I have two VFTs, which are now in their third year. I
actually forgot all about them over the winter and they were sitting
on a windowsill with the compost dried up. All of the old traps had
completely shrivelled up and turned black and they looked totally
dead. But on the off-chance, I removed all the dead bits and gave the
empty-looking pots a good soaking with rainwater. Now, three or four
weeks later, both have sprung into life with a good cluster of new
growth. There are one or two full-size traps on each, but the majority
are still tiny. I've put them outside on a few sunny days to get some
light onto them.

Last winter I purposely allowed them to go dormant, leaving them in an
unheated garage with only very occasional watering. This winter, just
forgetting about them on a windowsill seems to have done just as good
a job. Who says they're hard to keep alive?

Rob