Old 07-03-2007, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\) Robert \(Plymouth\) is offline

Default Physalis

Carol Hague wrote:
: Mary Fisher wrote:
:
:: "Carol Hague" wrote in message
:: ...
::: One of my husband's colleagues planted some seeds he got from a
::: Physalis fruit bought from the supermarket.
:::
::: He didn't really think they'd germinate, but he got several
::: seedlings, one of which he kindly gave to us.
:::
::: He seemed to think they were an indoor-only plant, but I thought
::: they grew outside too - any thoughts on if/when I should plant it
::: out please?
::
:: There are some which will survive outside but I think it would be
:: safer to keep it under glass. It might well take up a lot of room.
::
:: So saying, I think that it's worth the inconvenience for the fruit.
:
: Probably, but I don't think we have anywhere suitable to keep it, if
: it gets really big. :-(
:
: We're in an enclosed courtyard so none of the windows get huge amounts
: of sunshine
:
:::
::: It's currently in a pot on the kitchen window ledge.
::
:: It will outgrow that :-)
:
: It'll take a while though - the pot it arrived in is massively
: oversized for it. Seems happy enough at the moment.
:
:::
::: If it should get to the fruit-producing stage would it be advisable
::: to eat said fruit ?
::
:: Why not?
:
: I think I was getting confused with the plant Nick mentions above that
: isn't edible, although how that could grow from a fruit that clearly
: *was* I don't know - I think I was just having a senior moment :-)
:
::
:: Give it a go, if you have space.

Had huge crops outdoors last year and was picking well into November