Old 27-03-2003, 02:32 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Shade-loving ground cover to supress weeds

"Trish Brown" wrote in message

Well, my 2c worth would be good old-fashioned violets for a shady

spot!
They do a fair job of suppressing weeds in my garden (on the dry,

shady
side of the house) and the smell is divine when they're in flower. You
could use native violets, too, since they perform pretty much the same
function.

Yes native violets are candidates

Or, for a larger, more shrubby plant, why not try native
Indigofera? It's like a miniature wisteria (up to about a metre high)
with intensely pink flowers and a tendency to form thickets... While
Indigofera doesn't climb or ramble as wisteria does, it will spread
fairly quickly.

Apparently there are a few members of genus indigofera. Do you mean
Indigofera australis ?

David