Old 08-03-2007, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
sienna sienna is offline

Default Moon Lily or Devils Trumpet??

On Mar 7, 5:43 am, Jangchub wrote:
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:07:03 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

When I was younger my mother had flowers she called moon lily's, I believe
these were devils trumpet, they bloomed only once per night and had a great
delicate smell, I have some seeds that have been kept in a freezer for a
couple of years, will these seeds still be good for producing a plant.

thanx
bill

You are talking about Brugmansia. I have many varieties and I collect
them. I also have tons of seeds, but they require a very special
environment to germinate. The wet paper towel test doesn't work with
these large seeds. Tell me, how large are your seeds and I will tell
what you have. Brug seeds are large and have no uniform shape. They,
need light to germinate.

I am trying to root cuttings now. I just put my Brugs out last week
and pruned them hard. I won't know the color of the plants till they
bloom, but I would be willing to send you a plant once they get some
roots on them.

Moonflower is a vining plant like morning glory, but white and much
larger. They have a scent.

Datura has small to large flowers and they face upward, thus they are
called angel trumpets. I have many seeds of Datura wrightii.

************* ooops , The Datura are Devils Trumpets because they face
upward from he**.
Brugmansia are Angels Trumpets as most of them face downwardly as if
from Angels above.

Brug seeds will germinate with proper temps, moisture, air and light.
Paper toweling(damp) in a baggy placed in a bright, warm spot but not
in direct sun should do the trick unless you have empty seeds. Or
plant in sterile damp potting mix, just press slightly into the soil ,
cover container tightly with clear plastic , this is the way I grow
mine . Method was taught to me by Monika in Germany. You could soak
the seeds overnight in very warm water and peel the corky covering
off of the beanlike seed before you try to germinate them. If they are
viable seeds they sprout much faster when peeled. Keep everything
clean so bacteria or mold spores do not take hold. When they first
germinate you will see a fuzz but do not mistake for mold , it is the
seeds characteristic.

Good luck, Get some good named cross seeds because growing a unknown
seedling for up to 2 years just to see what you have can be very
disappointing :-((

Sienna