Old 08-03-2007, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Which seeds need to be germinated first?

Hi William,

Wonder why you are growing things like lettuce under lights? Why not just plant

them directly into the ground, unless you want to gain a time advantage.
Lettuce
grows pretty fast. I would devote more of your seed starting space to things
like
tomatoes, which take longer to produce fruit.

Sherwin D.

William Rose wrote:

Well, finally got my grow lights up and my heating pad out. Now I need
to decide which seeds should be germinated first because I feel as if
I'm running late.

I hope to plant:
snow peas,
string beans,
romano beans,
early ripening watermelons,
charentais melons,
acorn squash,
corn,
early, mid-, and late season tomatoes,
lemon cucumbers,
zuchs and crook-necks,
sweet, and hot peppers,
lettuce,
basil,
and an assortment of herbs.

I suppose that since the peas, and lettuce will be planted first, they
should be germinated first. The tomatoes are the most important to me,
so I will push them to the head of the line. Early April is my goal to
start planting. I hope to have the garden up full tilt by May.

Any suggestions?

My first attempt at a winter garden was abbreviated by snails and slugs.
The broccoli, and the cabbage were eaten first but the Brussel sprouts
have been more resilient but not impervious. I see few snails, and slugs
and they appear to be, historically, on the small side, adolescent if
you will (none of the 8"-10" banana slugs that typically terrorize my
Spring plantings).The rain fall is only 75% of normal, and I did mulch
with straw in the fall for the first time. I think the mulch is the
major difference.

- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly:-)