Old 08-03-2007, 07:34 AM posted to rec.ponds
swarvegorilla swarvegorilla is offline

Default Cannas in the Pond

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:46:08 -0600, Tristin
wrote:

I have a bunch of canna's planted aornd one section of the one pond
and they do great. Lowes one year was selling "aquatic Cannas"

There are true (& hardy) cannas, but many aquatic Cannas are simply ones
that have been conditioned. Better to do your own then pay 5 to 10 times
have someone do it for you. ;-) My favorite is Cleopatra.

Anothe rplanyt that does good in water is impatients.....

I've had mixed success with them, but I have seen LOVELY pictures of those
who have had GREAT success. Seems in streams they do very well. I had my
best success in floating islands.

If you take piece of foam and poke holes in it, and place an impatient
in each hole then float the foam, it makes a nice floating island of
color..I use a piecxe of monofiliament line with a small weight tied
to it,float the impatieint islands out in place and anchor with
weighted fishing line.....

Yes! And it looks very cool once they've covered the float. :-) I just
wish
I had a bigger pond, I did mine in my big pots by the front door, gave up
on heavy soil and went to water plants. I still can get color by using
some
terrestrial plants that don't mind wet roots. ~ jan

I have something similar going...
at first I had pots of tarro, canna and papyrus sitting on bricks in the
middle of the pond
but now all the roots have formed one big ball and I have 3 plants growing
on one sort of island
makes catching fish out of their IMPOSSIBLE but dam it looks good
everynow and again one falls over
which is no good but tons of little tarro 'fruits' (the adventous young on
stalks) floating around
canna's are great for colour and also the frogs
luv em