Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default slaters

wrote:
Last weekend I planted about 5 punnets of seedlings. Of these I have
four surviving basil plants and a tomato. The coriander went first.
The lettuce was looking good for about 4 or 5 days, then overnight
I lost everything except a couple of stalks. The parsley is dead too,
but that could be the heat.

Can't be sure, but I suspect slaters. There are thousands of the
things, but they don't seem to do any harm to established plants,
only seedlings.

Anyone have any tips for controlling slaters? I was thinking of
protecting the seedlings with plastic domes cut from drink
bottles until they are strong enough to look after themselves.

The slaters seem to do a good job of breaking things down,
I just don't want them to break down my seedlings.

Standards snail pellets (from memory) take care of them.