Old 08-03-2007, 01:31 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Break out the rakes

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 04:41:38 GMT, "Noncompliant"
wrote:

Live oaks are showing signs of dropping their leaves soon. Would like to
use this to prevent water evaporation at the soil surface. 12 yds of sandy
loam spread. 6-1-1 fertilizer with Bermuda (Sahara) grass seed.
Evaporation too quick. Topmost soil dries out too quickly. Will this work?

No, it won't work b ecause what they call "sandy loam" is crap, dead,
with no quality what so ever. It's best to leave the leaves, use a
mulching mower and it you want to you can top dress the lawn with a
1/4 inch of fquality compost.

Then, you have to learn how to water properly. It is far better to
water one inch, once a week, than it is to water a little bit every
day. If you water one inch instead of watering for a "time" period
the water will seep down eight inches, forcing the grass to reach
deeper in the soil to find water.

This year I bought a blower/vac and it also shreds the leaves into a
very fine mulch, which I am going to put back on the lawn after I have
some core aeration done.