Old 09-03-2007, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William Rose William Rose is offline

Default Which seeds need to be germinated first?

In article .com,
"Brooks in Boulder" wrote:

We just started seeds under lights, and I am going the route advocated
in previous posts - direct sow the greens, and start the longer-to-
fruit plants indoors. I'm in a 5B zone, so still have about 2 months
until last frost, but we do have our peppers, several perennial
ornamentals, and our early season broccoli going under lights. As for
the slugs, have you tried natural/organic deterrents - like getting a
bunch of coffee grounds and spreading them in a thick perimeter around
your veggie beds, or water in the morning to keep the beds dry at
night.

Tis the season!!

Yeah, I'm getting giddy to. I got my first installment of seeds under
lights today. I wish I could afford more for grow lights, so that I
could get lots of momentum going into the season, Last year was reallly
wet and everyone was a month behind from the get go but the summer was
warmer than usual and the season was very rewarding with the help of
contributors to rec.gardens.edible holding my hand as I freaked out on
lack of bees to crispy peas in late July:-).

I'm still waiting on tomato seeds from Harvest Moon Seed Co. I've have
the worst time dealing with them.

The Cook sent me a web site address that is the best that I've seen so
far in dealing with snails and slugs
(http://www.eap.mcgill.ca/MagRack/JPR/JPR_29.htm). Of course, once the
gastropods are under control, there are still my dogs from hell. I'm
still leery about direct sowing of seed because of the bad luck we've
had in trying it. We still have about 2 months before we are completely
safe from frost but mid-April is usually safe. Not much happens until
the ground warms up though (mid-May).

Gotta go make dinner.

Thanks again.
- Bill