Old 09-03-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Access via Google

In article .com, Dave
Hill writes
On 8 Mar, 15:18, "La Puce" wrote:
On 8 Mar, 14:59, "Dave Hill" wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else has to access this group via Google?

I do. Why?

Just wondering if there is any way to set a Killfile , I find that a
lot of the things I could do in the past you can't do with Google
David Hill

This is what it says on a couple of sites David

There are many web-based news services out there, including
Google http://groups.google.com, NewsRanger
http://www.newsranger.com, and so forth. For a complete
listing, visit http://www.newsreaders.com. These are
usually free services, and have the advantage of being complete
and timely. They are searchable, and many people prefer to use
them instead of a regular news service and separate reader,
especially if the newsfeed offered by their ISP is slow or
incomplete. The drawback is that they don't have filtering
capabilities.

From what I can see, there is no method for filtering out the
posts you do not wish to see in web-based newsreaders. You
can use the advanced search options to retrieve, say, all posts
made to a specific group, but *without* specific words in
them, such as "ninnyboy".

If you use Google groups because your news server isn't
very good, you may want to try contacting your ISP and
telling
them you're unhappy with their news service and that they
need to beef it up ... or get a different ISP ... or sign up
for a good service such as NewsGuy (relatively cheap).

Otherwise, you're stuck without filtering, and have
to do it "manually" by just skipping past the posts you don't
wish to see.

Or why not get something free like Agent or another newsreader? I
wouldn't be without my killfile ability though some people tend to leave
in the whole of the message text that they are replying to, which kind
of defeats the object

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy