Old 09-03-2007, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mewthree mewthree is offline

Default rhurbarb

La Puce wrote:
On 9 Mar, 10:33, mewthree wrote:
i have just got a couple of crowns and they are completely different
from the one i bought a couple of weeks ago.the ones i have just bought
are looking healthy and have shoots on the, the one i bought a couple of
weeks ago looks like it has dried up and died. should they all produce
crops?

Depends. What did you do with the first crown you bought? Did you
planted it? And where? Did you prepare the soil, enriched it with lots
of om prior to planting? Did you move the crown once in or did you
disturb ground around it? If you have planted it, the roots should
still be ok, but the crown suffered a dry spell perhaps. I wouldn't
give up on the first crown you bought. Only in a few month would you
be able to tell. Rhubarb are tough, but once established they don't
like to be moved. They need full sunshine. I've had mine for perhaps 6
years in the same spot, which were divisions from one I had 10 years
ago and this one was given to me by my father in law 15 years ago! So
I wouldn't get rid of the first crown, just mulch and om it, wait and
see.

thanks, have planted in some compost and watered. will wait and see.