Old 09-03-2007, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default rhurbarb

"mewthree" wrote in message
i have just got a couple of crowns and they are completely different from
the one i bought a couple of weeks ago.the ones i have just bought are
looking healthy and have shoots on the, the one i bought a couple of weeks
ago looks like it has dried up and died. should they all produce crops?

It may or may not be as dead as a doddo. Wait and water. If you have some,
give it seaweed/fish emulsion at the rcommended dilution rate. I've found
this to be especially good and could probably raise Lazarus from the grave.

Many years ago I remember a friend who is not a gardener's bootstraps
telling me that she had a plant in her garden for 2 two years that she
thought was dead and because she is so incompetent and slack, she didn't rip
it up. After 2 years it suddenly sprang back into life. I now apply the
same strategy but then I have lots of space and it doesn't matter if it sits
there and is actually dead.

But I rant. If the plant is alive, it will eventually give you harvestable
stems, but dont' expect too much for of it in the early stages. Don't ever
overharvest.