Old 09-03-2007, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default Tomatoes, Cukes in plastic well

what is the advantage of this idea? When I pull tomatoes I see that
their roots extend several feet out. Of course I have sandy soil, so
it costs them nothing to spread their roots. I suppose that in
extremely heavy clay it might be different, but typically the root
mass equals the aerial mass. If you have a 8 feet tomato plant, it
will probably go down 4 feet and out 4-5 feet in each direction.

On Mar 6, 2:49 pm, "AndyS" wrote:
Andy asks

This year I am planting my tomatoes and cucumbers (North Texas)
In little plastic wells so I can more selectively apply water during
our
drought...
What I am doing is to cut the bottoms out of the plastic buckets
of about 6-8 inches diameter and put them in the ground, filling
them with good dirt and leaving about 2 inches vacant between
the top of the soil inside them and the rims....
The top of the soil in the plastic bucket is about even with the
outside soil, so the "rim" is about 2 inches above the terrain.

In this way I can
water the "well" with about 2 inches, which will soak down into
the root area... I am also surrounding the outside of the
plastic well with about
2 inches of leaf mulch...

Has anyone else tried this and did you have positive results ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas