Old 09-03-2007, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bobrayner bobrayner is offline

Default rhurbarb

On 9 Mar, 12:14, "La Puce" wrote:
On 9 Mar, 11:43, mewthree wrote:

thanks, have planted in some compost and watered. will wait and see

Compost? In a pot? You can't grow rhubarb in a pot - the roots are
very strong and need lots of depth. Compost alone will not feed your
plant enough. It will not survive. These plants can produce for 10 to
15 years even longer. Once established you can leave them alone to do
their stuff. Very easy indeed. But first what they need is a good bed,
you need to prepare the ground for it. After all they'll stay in there
for 15 years!

Can't grow rhubarb in a pot? Really?

Before moving house last summer, I split one (in my old garden) into a
couple of large pots and moved them to the new house. As the new
garden doesn't yet have a permanent home for them, I've left them in
the pots... and they're growing nicely.

Really will have to find them a better home soon, though :-)