Old 09-03-2007, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default rhurbarb

On 9 Mar, 18:12, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "La Puce" contains these words:

On 9 Mar, 17:20, Anne Jackson wrote:
Strange, then, that I've had rhubarb growing in a compost bin for over
four years now....you _do_ talk the most incredible rubbish sometimes!

I don't really need nor deserve that kind of treatment Anne, I really
don't. I haven't done nor say anything to you to justify this. So easy
on the language and especially the attitude.

You made a very misleading statement, Helene! I was pointing this out,
in my usual succinct manner....

What do you find strange? You've had your rhubarb growing in your
compost bin? I have potatoes, oinions, tons of cascading nasturtiums
growing from my composts and a comfrey which has been in there for
well over 4 years.
What have I said above which would suggests you cannot grow things
from your compost area? No, I haven't.

But you did!! You said "Compost? In a pot? You can't grow rhubarb in
a pot - the roots are very strong and need lots of depth. Compost alone
will not feed your plant enough. It will not survive."

COMPOST ALONE WILL NOT FEED YOUR PLANT ENOUGH. IT WILL NOT SURVIVE.

I didn't invent this....YOU said it!

Growing rhubarb in a pot for several years you would not have the best
harvest from your rhubarb and it's not a good advice. It has massive
roots and you'd end up killing the plant, let alone cracking your pot!.

Helene, away and teach your granny to suck eggs... I wasn't argueing
about the POT, I was taking issue with your statement about the COMPOST!

Easy on the language please or I won't read you any more.

Look at the face...look at the face...do I look bovvered?
DO I LOOK BOVVERED?

--
AnneJ

"Better To Die On Your Feet Than Live Forever On Your Knees"
Dolores Ibaruri (La Passionaria)

Children ........Children.....
Stop squabling.

Yes Rhubarb can be grown in a pot, I've got 3 plants growing in 12
inch pots, they are the survivors from over 50 plants I had growing
well in open ground, but 2 very wet winters wiped them out, I know
rhubarb likes plenty of water but not when they are dormant, I am
still looking for a place to plant them that can cope with our rain.
The best Rhubarb I ever grew was when I was living near Newbury, they
were planted in the angle of a north and an east facing wall l, where
they got the overflow from the bath water as the drain couldnt take it
fast enough, then they also got all the grass clippings around them
all season as a mulch.
Our best stick was over 3ft long and 2inches wide, and it was as
tender as anything,
I think I will have to put in a raised bed for it probably.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries