Old 09-03-2007, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Access via Google

wrote:
[...]
I have emailed Google to ask them if there is a way to set up a
filter, if they say anything useful, I will email you.

The point about Google is that it's not a newsreader, it's an archive --
that is, a website where one can read a copy of Usenet. If you want to
be able to killfile, you need a proper client-based newsreader, which
will allow actions in your own computer.

The inconvenient bit about setting up a newsreader is that you need to
find a news _server_ to feed into the reader. Teranews is a very cheap
one (a once-only payment of under four dollars); news.individual.net
costs ten euro a year, but it's rather better. You can download a news
client from the Web, or use Outlook Express, which comes free and
automatically with Windows -- it's not brilliant, but it's good enough
for most people. A small and decreasing number of ISPs run their own
news servers for their customers.

OE allows killfiling, which is pretty well essential for a group like
URG which is under constant attack from trolls and egos. A better reader
also allows you to killfile not just individuals but whole crossposted
groups: OE's mechanism for this doesn't work, and there's no way M$ is
going to make the effort to fix it.

So, in short, no: GG of its nature can't support killfiles.

--
Mike.