Old 10-03-2007, 01:20 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default Lawn aerators

Barry Ward wrote:
For some reason my back and side lawns are OK - considering the drought here
in SE Qld. But the grass out the front of the house is DEAD DEAD DEAD!
Basically it has almost gone back to bare soil. I have a few gum trees
bordering the property - but I dont feel that is the problem. Many years
ago when it used to rain the grass grew quit lushly - but now, even after we
get some rain , it is very sick. I think that the biggest problem is that
the clay soil is really badly compacted - standing on a fork with my full
weight, I can barely push it in deeper than an inch.

I know that you can hire motorised aerators - or get somebody in to do the
job - has anybody ever had their lawns aerated/cored. Would it work for a
VERY hard and compacted clay? - if not , any recommendations please?

Thanks

Barry in Beenleigh

Not worth doing it until it rains. IMHO