Old 10-03-2007, 01:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Travis M. Travis M. is offline

Default Staghorn Frond

"Wolf" wrote in message
Wendy7 wrote:
Barbara, I am noticing the green colours in your pictures? They
are very deep in shade. Now I have a new monitor, new computer with
Vista O/S. Different Video card & I am wondering if it is my
equipment & maybe my monitor needs adjusting?
The Vista Photo Gallery (editing/viewing etc) stinks!!
I am not just picking on you & yours, it's just that I know the
colours of the Staghorn.
Cheers Wendy

The monitor governs what you see, not the video card or the OS. Copy
an old file onto your new computer, an image whose colours you know
well. Then adjust the monitor until it looks right to you. Note that
LCD monitors do not produce the exactly the same colours as the old
CRTs, nor do they have the same contrast range, so you may not get
quite what you want.

You can also use colour test cards/images, I'll post a couple here for
your, um, enjoyment. They are also excellent for testing your printer,
and adjusting printer colour profiles.

As for image viewing and editing - sigh. That's a big subject.

If you still have your old machine, and used a 3rd party
viewer/editor, you can transfer that program to your new machine. You
will have to find its installation file (an *.exe file or a *.zip
file). Or else dig out the CD it came on.

You can remove Photogallery, or inactivate it, but you'll have to go
to a Vista newsgroup to find out how to do it. I don't use Vista (and
never will, see PS below).

Good 3rd party software is out there. Digital cameras come with
adequate programs, some with very good ones. But you may want to
explore alternatives.

For freeware, try Irfanview, it works very well. Google on its name.
If you're willing to spend some time mastering it, GIMP is as powerful
as Paintshop or Photoshop.

If you are willing to spend a few bucks, try PMView, IMO easier to use
than Irfanview, but doesn't handle as many image file formats.

If you are willing to spend more bucks, buy Paintshop. If you are
willing to spend loadsadough, buy Photoshop.

PS: Vista is designed to enforce Digital Rights Management, which has
reportedly caused trouble for people who have older CDs and DVDs,
and/or who make their own. Vista is said to refuse to play them.
Besides, it's even more bloated than XP, which means that you need
more powerful hardware merely to equal the performance of Win2000 and
XP. It also ties MS's own applications even more tightly into the
operating system, which means that they will be difficult if not
impossible to remove or inactivate, should you decide that you prefer
to use other software instead (which is after all your right.) Any one
of these reasons is enough for me to avoid it. I'm going Linux, just
haven't decided whether I want new, really screamin' hardware, too.
:-)

--

Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)

Irfanview works just fine on Vista. No need to remove Photogallery just
set what ever viewing software you choose to use as the default.

DVD's that I created on XP play fine on my new Vista machine

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington