Old 19-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Stephen

Default Favorite Plants??

(paghat) wrote:

"LeeAnne" wrote in message

Hi all gardening buds (pun intended, lol)

Of all the things you have growing in your garden(s) which could you not
live without? I know it's a toughie, but pick one . .

Our shading Vine Maple is one of my absolute faves. It's not rare or
anything, it's a regular local native tree, but of unusually fine
appearance, & I don't think there are many rare pricey special Japanese
maple cultivars that would exceed its beauty.

I saw a picture of that one and instantly fell in love with the tree.
I have been meaning to find a place online to purchase a few, although
there is a pretty good chance that they would not be very happy here.
Rated for this zone, but most plants that thrive in the northwest seem
to do poorly in my neck of the woods. I think our summers are too
rough. It would be nice if I could offer them some shade during the
hottest part of the day, but I do not have much shade yet either.

I have been planting a lot of smaller trees but it will be many years
before any of them offer any shade. Real shame but around here it is
impossible to get any large trees for a reasonable price. The only
places to buy trees are the nurseries and they only offer the standard
landscaping stuff and although I have nothing against Pin Oaks, I am
not going to pay five hundred bucks just so I can have a good start on
some shade. I do occasionly give in and throw a few hundred at a
Japanese Maple, but that is about as far as I will go.

- Stephen