Old 10-03-2007, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson Sally Thompson is offline

Default rhurbarb

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:30:32 +0000, Anne Jackson wrote
(in article ):

snip

Surely it is better to offer no advice at all, than to tell someone
something which is, at best, misleading?

No-one that I know is an expert with knowledge of _everything_ to do
with gardening. The people with the most knowledge tend to be the
most modest.

What wise words, Anne! Whilst I understand that someone may wish to offer
advice from their own experience although it is advice contrary to the
received wisdom of experts, I have never understood why someone should be so
eager to give a response to just about everything that they rush to Google,
phone and email their friends, etc, just to be able to answer practically
every query. It seems to imply a pathetic eagerness. I have seen exactly
the same pattern on other groups in the past.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk