Old 27-03-2003, 03:21 AM
Jeffrey Girard

Default Unable to detect rise in nitrate with PMDD.

I use both AP nitrate and nitrite and SeaChem's nitrate (and nitrite) test
kits. Both work well and are straighforward to use. As with other's
advice, read and follow the directions exactly as they are written. I've
just set up/refurbished a 60g planted tank after a 2 year "abstinence" from
aquaria. I'm using the same test kits and they are still fresh. FWIW, the
SeaChem test kit comes with a nitrate reference solution so you can check to
see if it's working (a nice feature IMO). It's still good after 2 years,
btw, although the first kit I bought from them was no good, they immediately
replaced the reagents for free after I emailed them.

Test kits do have a shelf life, so I will keep an eye on the results. So
far everything is as I expect (GH, KH, pH, NO2, NO3, NH3, etc).

Jeff
Raleigh, NC

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Why won't the test kit read any nitrate?

Maybe it's a bad test kit. Has it ever measured any nitrate?

I've found AP to be a good test kit, but like all test kits, it's only

good for
a certain time. I always buy my test kit from someplace that does a high
volume of business. That way, you can be reasonably sure that the test
reagants are fresh.

Leigh