Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\) Robert \(Plymouth\) is offline

Default Blackcurrants

Weatherlawyer wrote:
: On Mar 10, 5:47 pm, "Robert \(Plymouth\)" beachcom...@ultimate-
: anonymity.com wrote:
:: graham wrote:
::
::: I have a blackcurrant bush that I planted about 10 years ago (with
::: another that died over winter, and 2 redcurrant bushes). I have
::: never picked more than about 4 or 5 blackcurrants from it!! The
::: bush flowers but the fruit don't set.
::: I've talked to various experts, including one who has a 90 minute,
::: weekly, Q&A gardening program on the radio, and they're all
::: flummoxed. It grows like the clappers (I cut it back last year) and
::: the redcurrants fruit profusely.
::: This year will be its last chance.
::: Any advice would be appreciated.
::: Graham
::
:: Afterv 10 years I would imagine you have tried everything.
:: Presumably your experts would have spotted big bud and reversion, so
:: out it comes. Why wait ten years, you are very patient
:
: Apparently they need a really cold winter to become profitable. Try a
: variety that will cope with warm wet winters.

Naaa, never bothered any of mine whether the winter is warm, cold or
indifferent