Old 10-03-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
AndyS AndyS is offline

Default Tomatoes, Cukes in plastic well

simy1 wrote:
what is the advantage of this idea?

Andy writes
Well, my area of Texas is in the middle of the longest drought
in recorded history.
Water has become very expensive, and selective watering seems
like a good idea..

My tomato plants last year only grew to about 2 feet high. Plenty
of tomatoes, but it didn't seem reasonable to water a LARGE space
to give moisture to the roots. And , when I pulled up the plants,
the roots didn't go more than a foot or two.. We seem to have
different soils and growing styles......

Thanks for your input... If I ever find myself in sandy soil and
have unlimited cheap water, I'll probly do the same as yourself....

Andy in Eureka, Texas