Old 10-03-2007, 09:43 PM posted to aus.gardens
FlowerGirl[_2_] FlowerGirl[_2_] is offline

Default hedge question please

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"jones" wrote:

Thank you Chookie, not a bad idea of yours.

It will be a nice soft look from my kitchen window.

Now I think of it, maybe I don't want berries on it, as I wouldn't like

the
berries to drop next door and have it sprouting there as well. They are
Asians (no offence), and may think it is the bad bamboo. I have on

there,
honeysuckle growing and as it goes through the palings they seem to pull

it
out.

I don't think the seeds are fertile -- Nandina reproduces by suckering,

but as
I said, it's not aggressive.

If I saw honeysuckle on my fence palings, I'd pull it out too! It's

pretty
weedy in Sydney.

Ditto that .. good suggestion wrt the heavenly bamboo Chookie (despite the
fact its non-native ... tall, narrow and not a runner - fits the bill
quite well really.

At any rate as a neighbour, I personally would be more highly offended by
the Murraya - its an environmental weed and it does spread from the copious
number of berries it drops or which birds ingest and then drop. ... and drop
and drop.
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weed...ra=all&card=E3
3
They can also grow to be very large and you'd be pruning it back all the
time if you live anywhere north of about Sydney. Similar hedge species that
are environmental weeds include: duranta (aka sheena's gold - tops my
personal list of most hated garden plants); Indian hawthorne, privet and
purple joyweed.

Some native alternatives that make good hedges include: lillypillies (e.g.
Acmena smithii, Syzygium australe, S. luehmannii (probably all too large for
the OP) but there are dwarf varieties available.
Bottlebrush is another option e.g. Callistemon "Captain Cook" ... also
available as dwarf varieties.
Ti-tree (Melaleuca) may be OK. Floral smell may be overwhelming ... but not
any worse than murraya.
Native rosemary (Westringia) would be too short for the OP but can form a
nice hedge
Native boobialla (Myoporum) ... personally I just like the name
Maybe a dwarf variety of Acacia fimbriata (smell can be overwhelming
though)
Native gardenias (Randia) maybe even

Or on another tack, instead of the honeysuckle (I'd get rid of it too if I
were your neighbour), maybe a passionfruit vine where you get to share the
spoils..... easy care, screens the fence and can't really grow higher than
the fence (unless you add on a trellis), doesn't expand on your space much
and yummy fruit.

HTH
Amanda