Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default rhurbarb

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from K contains these words:

We lost all out earthworms a few years ago, when New Zealand flatworms
appeared over here. That was when I bought my wormery, and we're about
back to normal now...haven't seen a flatworm in last past couple of
years.

UK earthworms had no difficulty in establishing themselves in NZ despite
the presumable presence of the flatworms, so it seems logical that your
earthworm population should have settled

UK earthworms, in NZ? Didn't NZ have its own worm population?

One would presume that, in NZ, there would be something that would
predate on the flatworms? The only thing that the Soil Association
labs could find, in this country, that predated on flatworms was
one species of beetle... I'm not great at beetle identification... G

I haven't heard anything about flatworms for some years, do you think they
have all died off?

Alan