Old 11-03-2007, 04:52 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Decidous white blooming trees

On 10 Mar 2007 12:55:10 -0800, "zip"
wrote:

hi,
Does anyone know what the oval shaped white blooming trees that have
recently bloomed in Austin. I see them everywhere and was thinking
they would make a good shade tree close to my house. Thanks

zip

Bradford Pears, but they are not the greatest trees. First, they
attract boat tail grackles. Second, their crotch system is very weak
and as the tree ages it becomes more susceptible to losing limbs in
any number of our straight line wind storms of summer.

I highly recommend if you want the beautiful white blooms, and if you
want a nice fragrance you can use Mexican plum, which is another tree
blooming right now all over the place.

I have never seen such beautiful blooms on the redbuds before! No
rain to speak of, but they are glorious.