Old 11-03-2007, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default plants for a hedge

I have a large flower bed that goes right across the garden apart from
two gaps for paths and a middle pergola/walkway. Behind is the vegetable
raised bed area and i's like to screen but not block the view so that
you can see through and not foreshorten the garden

Could I back this bed with, and train Chaenemoles in cordon formation or
would I be better to get apple cordons ? I did think of bushes or shrubs
but they would be difficult to keep "flat" .

The bed's main colour scheme is deep red/pink and white, some blue but
NO yellow (never get on with yellow)

Should I consider other shrubs? It needs to be about 4 - 5 ft high and
we are on the alkaline side with clay and a LOT of flint.Full sun and
bed faces south, i.e. cordons would be on north side of it.

I also thought of training clematis etc through these cordons so it
doesn't have to bear a crop necessarily.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph