Old 11-03-2007, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
graham graham is offline

Default Blackcurrants

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 10, 5:47 pm, "Robert \(Plymouth\)" beachcom...@ultimate-
anonymity.com wrote:
graham wrote:

: I have a blackcurrant bush that I planted about 10 years ago (with
: another that died over winter, and 2 redcurrant bushes). I have
: never picked more than about 4 or 5 blackcurrants from it!! The bush
: flowers but the fruit don't set.
: I've talked to various experts, including one who has a 90 minute,
: weekly, Q&A gardening program on the radio, and they're all flummoxed.
: It grows like the clappers (I cut it back last year) and the
: redcurrants fruit profusely.
: This year will be its last chance.
: Any advice would be appreciated.
: Graham

Afterv 10 years I would imagine you have tried everything. Presumably
your
experts would have spotted big bud and reversion, so out it comes. Why
wait
ten years, you are very patient

Apparently they need a really cold winter to become profitable. Try a
variety that will cope with warm wet winters.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm a Brit living in Canada. Cold winters are
a fact of life{:-))
Graham