Old 11-03-2007, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
graham graham is offline

Default Blackcurrants

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 10 Mar, 19:13, "Robert \(Plymouth\)" beachcom...@ultimate-
anonymity.com wrote:

Black currants fruit on last years wood so after fruiting you cut out
the old wood and leave in the new.
You say it/they are making a lot of growth, I wonder what fertilizer
you are giving them. It/they might benifit from a low Nitrogen high
potash high phosphate fertilizer to toughen up the growth. With most
fruiting plants, if they are growing to well they don't carry a great
amount of fruit, they have no need to reproduce.
But I would be asking myself if it wasn't time foe a couple of new
bushes.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

I think you are right. That spot doesn't get over fertilised, in fact it's
next to a former raspberry patch that must surely be depleted. The adjacent
redcurrants fruit heavily, at least when the aphids are kept under control!
Graham