Old 11-03-2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomatoe stake question

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 23:32:38 -0800, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

Does anyone have some practical advice on what to use to stake up tomatoes?
Last year I used some 3 foot steel fencing, but my tomatoes grew an easy 6-7
feet tall. It was a mess, one of the clusters fell over lol.

If you have the space lay down a 2" layer of straw and let the tomato
vine onto the ground. Staking conserves space and may decrease yield.
For best results remove the suckers. You can use branches, poles,
tomato cages, fencing, etc. I have used 3-pole T-Pees which are very
stable and strong. Three feet is just not tall enough.