Old 12-03-2007, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\) Robert \(Plymouth\) is offline

Default insectiside recommendations

wrote:
: Hi,
:
: I have a 4m high by 9m long conifer hedge. It is either a leylandi or
: thuja type, although I have done some research I cannot be exactly
: sure.
:
: The hedge is made up of 4 trees, and since its last pruning about 6
: months ago (which I did not do), some brown patches have appeared,
: majority on 1 tree, slightly on another and none on the other 2.
: I have researched the potential cause of the browning, and know it
: could be due to many causes, and that it may never recover. One of
: these could be some kind of insect infestation.
:
: In the scenario of an assumed insect infestation I was thinking of
: getting some insectiside and spraying the hedge. I am under the
: opinion of spraying it for the sake of it will at least eliminate an
: insect cause, even if not actually present.
:
: I haven't got a clue what type of insectiside to use or what
: equipment. Also the potential side effects on the hedge itself,
: flowers and other plants in the same soil, animals and children.
:
: Can anyone give me any advice?
:
: Thanks,
:
: James

Sounds like bad pruning has led to die back to me. I wouldn't spray at all,
certainly not just on the off chance as the whole food chain can be
interrupted let alone any beneficial insects getting zapped