Old 12-03-2007, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Vandy Terre Vandy Terre is offline

Default Shredded Paper in Compost Pile

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:41:53 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:

I understand I can put my shredded paper (bills and that type stuff) in
the compost pile, right?
Any limitations on how much? My compost pile is newly started and I've
not composted in far too many distant years past so wanted to double check.

Avoid slick paper and printed colors. Slick paper has a clay seal to make it
slick and also makes it harder to compost. Color inks may contain lead.
Changes have been made in what goes into color inks to make them safer for us
and the environment.

I treat shredded paper the same as I treat oak leaves, cover them with chicken
manure. Bird droppings of any kind are high nitrogen which aids in compost of
things like paper, twigs, leaves. You may need to add some lime from time to
time to balance the pile.

For those who own chickens that spend at least part of the day in a coop, try
tossing the shredded paper/ leaves/ small twigs under the perch. This will act
as a mat to absorb chicken droppings and can be more easily moved to the compost
pile. Yes, the birds will scatter it hunting for treats. Just rake it together
when time to clean the coop.