Old 27-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Samala

Default good apistos to start with

Mike..

Sorry about that! They aren't too HARD to breed in my experience.
As far as leaving the pair together: it honestly depends on what
size tank we're talking here. Anything over 15 gallons and I'd say
DEFINITELY leave them together. Apisto's are usually fabulous little
parents, and their breeding behavior is one of the main reasons people
get into them. A ten gallon tank is iffy, a five gallon would be a
definite female-only situation.

As far as breeding tips, I can't offer too much. I've just started
with Apistos about a year ago myself. I find that feeding good food
(whiteworms, blackworms, mosquito larvae, daphnia, balanced pelleted
foods), doing plenty of water changes, and being patient is all you
need to get these fish in the mood. Sure, that's more work than a lot
of fishes, but, they're worth it.

If you haven't read anything on it already, look into getting a few
dither fish.. pencilfish work the best in my experience. And check
out http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto if you haven't already for more
info. Good luck with them!! Soon you'll be overwhelmed with fry
and will be ordering the newest species from faraway places, I can
tell.

One last thing, I suggest joining the Apisto mailing list. There are
loads of people there who can give you far better info/advice than I.

To subscribe to this list, send the following command
to , on a line by itself in the body,
not subject of an email
subscribe apisto

Sarah