Old 12-03-2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
~Windsong~ ~Windsong~ is offline

Default Help wanted: Pump CONSTANTLY clogs

I just think yoo need a better strainer or prefilter. I have pump
intakes in a natural mud bottom pond which is surounded by trees etc
and have no problems with clogging....What I use is a cylindrical mesh
screen that is approx4" in diam, and it extends up from the bottom to
the top of the water level. Its virtually impossible or at least not
very quickly anyhow to suck in junk that will clog it all up at one
time........

The material I use is in 44" long pineces and adapts easily to
standard PVC pipe and fittings...........so it not hard to adapt to
most any pump.....I get it out of Florida, from Aquatic Eco
Systems......

I live in Alabama myself and my pumps all run 24/7 on various preforms
and 3 mud bottom ponds and clogging just is not a problem with this
cylindrical screen. Look up item number RT444 on AES website. It fits
4" pvc. YOu can use various PVC fitting s to adapt to your pump and
think "Vertical install" not horizontal.......Its possible and well
advised to create a standpipe inside the perforated tube, so you do
not pull directly on the bottom.......I keep mine aprox 6" off pond
bottom to keep from pulling in trash. No filter sponges or other
filter media is needed, and these 4" diam perforated tubes have holes
inthem approx 3/16" in size which should be plenty fine to prevent
junk from entering and damageing the pump.

http://www.aquaticeco.com
Item # RT444
Page 430 of Master Catalog.

1-877-347-4788
Give em a call they have lots of stuff for ponds much cheaper than
tyopical pond supply and water garden stores.
Bags and balls of screening etc is fine, but your stlil pulling water
directly off tre bottom, and it doe snot take much to cover over a
pump intake.

-------