Old 12-03-2007, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Runner beans

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:25:53 GMT, "Lionel" lionel
wrote:

Cut between the drainage holes of the pots so that you have just
one large hole in each. Plant your bean plants, place a flower pot
upsidedown over each cane and plant then "screw" each pot about an inch into
the soil. You can then get a good idea of how much water actually gets to
the roots. I put about an inch of water in each pot twice a day and giving
a liquid feed was made easy.

Lionel, this is obviously something which works for you, but I am a
little confused about how it works.
The pot, with the large hole cut in the base, goes upside down over
the cane and the plant?
The rim of the pot is then screwed into the soil?
How does this help watering?
Will the pot not make a good hiding place for slugs and snails?
I have sunk a flower pot into the soil next to such things as
tomatoes, and watered into the pot, but I cannot quite get my head
round your instructions.
Please can you put me on the right track.

Pam in Bristol